Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving in Lausanne

We decided to cook a Thanksgiving dinner for up to 70 - students, hotel staff, and us. A logistical challenge - reproducing Americana in Switzerland (what I would've given for a turkey baster) - would sum-up this project, but everyone helped and we had a wonderful evening together. It was a homecoming for me, as well; I think I finally landed on a favorite stuffing recipe (not sure I'll always bake the cornbread and tear and toast the bread after leaving Lausanne though).

The students have been experiencing, well, "protein issues," so I kinda went overboard and bought 4 Dinde de Noel; turkey #4 making an excellent centerpiece. The pumpkin mix was mailed from "A Taste of America" (Zurich), Migros carried fresh cranberry and yams, and we mulled local, unfiltered pear/apple juice. I have mixed feelings about the green bean casserole - not part of my or Carolyn's tradition - but I think it was recognizable.


Michael loves to help, so it was fun for him, tearing the bread, preparing the cider, and socializing with everyone. I think he was pretty bored with the sitting and eating part.



The evening crew.


Mr. Bustamonte carved the birds. I covered the mashed potatoes and gravy.

The students transformed the downstairs into a formal and party atmosphere; then filled it with much goodwill.



After the cider, we sang a doxology, then joined the buffet. Distance from home = gain in flavor.

Carolyn baked 7 pumpkin pies and made the cranberry-orange relish.

Kim made 3 apple pies.


We and the hotel staff share a common bond: neither of us are Swiss. I also realized how uniquely American Thanksgiving is (unless you count what they do in Canada), but our Spanish speaking guests seemed to experience it as a Christmas event, probably because St Nicholas day (Dec 6th) is near and also celebrated with a feast in Europe. (Mr B even offered to call in a "Papa Noel"). Seems both cultures have holiday feasts - identical meals, really - bookending the 25 odd days at year end.
This charmer is Latisha, the girl nextdoor who plays with Michael and Jack.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments: