Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Uncle Jeff's visit

Uncle Jeff came down for a visit from the Bay area - can't believe it's been over a year, so we served-up one of the things SoCal has to offer even in late September: the beach.
The Pacific was unusually warm, after a summer of heat. Drove to Malibu's Paradise Cove - setting for some Gidget movies - to eat lunch. It's overpriced, but you get to park for 4 hours of play with tables on the sand. Something I've not seen outside of Europe, where a table, a parasol, and waiter seem to accompany every scenic spot.
Michael was on a hunt to find starfish.
Since swim lessons, Jack has really taken to water, too.
Everyone loves storytime. My parents rarely read to me (although, like good Japanese [and good Brits] despite only jr high educations, they read a lot - btw, did you know that British vacationers used to pack a trunk of books when heading to the Italian coast), so I'm curious at how much more vivid my children's imaginations may be, comparatively.

We first met Jeff and Jenny, along with Dan and Gena, in Tokyo many years ago and have managed to keep the friendship stoked over the years. Now we're at least in the same state. Friendships - despite easy internet - can suffer after a move; other people fill the void and, well, out of sight, out of mind. After numerous moves, I think we're officially off everyone's Christmas card list.

BTW, I'm old enough now, that my past has become subject to inventory; thus the Fuji shot above. I leave you with this sobering timepiece.

Speaking of sobering, just heard that Pepperdine is laying off some IT staff; cutting corners wherever possible. I remember my first impression of SoCal, where formerly overheard conversations about stock portfolios in 1990s Tacoma was replaced by nonstop giddiness concerning real estate.

What goes up, must come down. But, ouch.

No comments: