Friday, November 14, 2008

Kurosawa & Sushi

I took my film class to the Motion Picture of Arts & Sciences (the Oscar folks) to take in their tremendous exhibit celebrating the work of director Akira Kurosawa. They had cool posters - some of my favs were by Polish designers...
and hundreds of AK's paintings, costumes, brushes - even his sunglasses! He was trained as a painter first, drawing all of his storyboards (sometimes with amazing detail), including Martin Scorcese's collection.
All of this previews the centential celebration of Kurosawa's birth in 2010 via an international exhibit, AK100.

I was in a particularly good mood, so drove to Gardena - my "hometown" - and picked-up 25 sushi bentos by...
a hole in the wall country-style, cheap but best sushi in town, sushi. The combo mix below is only $5.05!
You can't beat the presentation - a handsome, white cardboard box wrapped by individual sheets of printed paper knotted by green string:
Hasn't changed in over 40 years and no one can figure out the secret to their rice, which is what makes it so special. A cousin of mine once got the merchant's son - over many cups of sake - to divulge they use an iron kettle and do NOT soak the rice overnight (a commonly held belief for superior rice in Japan).
They are open 'til 3 on Thanksgiving, so maybe I'll make a run!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything about this post makes me wish I were there with you. Had heard about Kurosawa's painting collection being on tour. Did you see the storyboards for Ran in glorious red? This reminds me of your post ages ago noting a restaurant somewhere in Europe by the name of "Ozu." Great stuff.

jayne said...

I can't decide what I'm more envious of, seeing the Kurosawa exhibit or the sushi.

Okay looking at your friend Zach's comment I realize I've just pretty much written the same thing. So in other words: me too!