Wednesday, September 21, 2011

ERS

Last Saturday we visited Edith Schaeffer at her apartment, bottom floor of a renovated 17th century chalet - a treasure trove of memories; wedding photo of parents in China (in traditional dress), old Chalet Melezes L'Abri bread board, favorite hymnals like Christian Praise, tea service, original wheelbarrow shipping china to Europe, etc.
Every wedding gift long broken after years of L'Abri ministry, everything seen is everything survived.
Michael and Jack entertained with their music,
while enjoying her BBC reception with wonderful children's programming.

This baby Steinway was the subject of the book Forever Music, reflecting the deep engagement with the arts and culture which was, along with a vital spiritual life, ERS' contribution to the Schaeffer household. Grandfather Seville,a Greek professor who also knew Mandarin, read his Greek NT 'til the day he died at 102.

I'll never forget the meal shared 3 years ago, Michael proclaiming his history, "I was born in China and Jack was born in China," to which Mrs S loudly added with back straightened, "And I was born in China."

Like Ruth Graham & Os Guinness, ERS was a child of the China Inland Mission, writing of her early years in Mei Fuh:
I'm unsure to what degree a less "settled" origin propels one to either accept or foster restlessness, although I see that in myself, certainly. At home everywhere, at home nowhere.

I sometimes wonder if Michael's strong desire to farm & plant gardens expresses an unsentimental longing for place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. I think Michael should do 4H when you come back.

Luma said...

Wow, Michael. She's an amazing woman. You and Carolyn are blessed to know her and glean wisdom from her life. Give my love to Carolyn.

I know what you mean about the moving. As an immigrant who moved from country to country to country, and then even after arriving in America moving from city to city and house to house, I know that restlessness all too well. As I have entered my forties, I am deeply longing for a sense of place. Yet, at the same time, different and new places continue to be alluring. Hmmm.... something to be thinking about.

Kyra said...

Oh your post 'speaks' to me and my heart on so many levels!
What a blessing for you to have been involved with the L'Abri ministry and the Schaeffer family for so many years. Also, what a treasure for the boys that they got to meet(and entertain:-)this amazing lady! I admire her faith, her legacy and of course, because of our adopted Chinese daughter, am fascinated that she was born and raised in China.
I will definitely buy her children's book. I admired Ruth Graham Bell for similar reasons.

Thanks for the great posts and allowing us to vicariously join you in your wonderful experiences in Switzerland!
Can't wait to see you all soon!
Love,
Kyra

Anonymous said...

Hi Jack,

Hope you are having a great time in Switzerland! I enjoy looking at your log.

I miss you!!! First grade isn't the same without you...

Love, Dana H.