Saturday, March 24, 2012

Paddy's Day

Apparently, the green-themed St Patrick's Day is an Irish-American trait, where 35 million Americans who claim Irish ancestry celebrate Guinness, shamrocks and Leprechauns. Clearly more at stake for those who've left the motherland.


Our Tacoma church restored the theological origins of the beloved saint, singing his famous prayer, St Patrick's Breastplate:
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, 
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me. 
Not an easy hymn, our tortured singing aside, the man - actually English - was a Christian convert aristocrat, kidnapped from his land only to make Ireland home.
Our Irish friend, Ray, told us it's just Paddy's Day in Ireland, inviting us to this wonderul Irish Jam in Vevey, a dozen musicians dropped in and just played. 

It was a caveau, a remodeled, basement wine cellar, with the doors open and music spilling into the streets. The old town of Vevey at night was magical and we ran into church friends who followed us for some great music.It was the ordinariness of the evening - music that, rather than ticketed event, but a part of life - that was the evening's considerable charm. Guinness, of course, helped!
 ***
Spring is in the air as we face daylight savings a couple of weeks after the USA. Lunch outdoors at this city cafeteria with a tremendous view of the cathedral and library.
 
 
Today was artist's day in Lausanne, as some 40 painters opened their studios for shows. Founded by Stefan Fretz, whose father I knew many years ago, the annual event has grown and we visited Naomi's abstract artwork, and plan to have Michael take painting lessons in May.Arriving early, we helped set-up, blowing up balloons. I noticed an artisanal beer shop down Naomi's street!
Afterwards, we walked up to the Riponne area where most of the Saturday market occurs, buying meats and cheese for a quick picnic and where I came across these old block letters.
 
Easter/Paschal is early this year. Swiss are getting into dying eggs, as well, but the traditional way is buying colored eggs at the market.
 We plan to dye eggs with the students tomorrow.  I show off my Israel purchase - a handcrafted chess set of walnut and mother-of-pearl and bronze figures - made and designed by bedouins!

1 comment:

Kyra said...

Dear Caroline and Mike,
Thanks for the lovely 'old world' update and views of beautiful Lausanne!
Love your chess set and admire it's Arabic appearance.
Blessed Palm Sunday to you and yours!
Hugs to the boys from us!
Love,
the Chapmans