Saturday, January 25, 2014

LA

I made my biannual stop at Edie's Pastries in the valley, after my doctor's visit, buying some mini-patisseries and indulging in an expresso with croissant...
transporting me back to a cafe in Lausanne.                     The human spirit surfaces in the most surprising places here, discovered in a private shop oasis, rather than integrated in a charming pubic town square.
 We ventured into downtown to take in the chldren's symphony at Disney Hall, as the LA Phil performed an energetic performance of the 4 Seasons, beautifully dramatized.Then on to Langer's Deli, across from Macarthur's Park, where we ate a perfect pastrami. I mean, perfect.  The crinkle cut fries took me back to the cafeteria section of the old Thrifty Drug Stores, whose ice cream brand lives on at Rite Aid.  I was similarly surprised to see Helen Grace Chocolates on a box of sweets purchased at Gelson's recently. 
 Jack can do fish-n-chips. while the rest of crew scarfed down various deli delights.  LA does deli very well, actually, minus the bowl of welcoming pickles I was used to receiving in NY.
 A big day, we then enjoyed the downtown atmosphere at The Last Bookstore, a reclaimed bank space into a funky used bookstore space. Not huge, but very interesting and successfully executed.  Needs a coffee bar!
 A small organ with musical scores of old hymns turned into an installation of sorts.
Funky art upstairs, books in vaults
 
and sculpted
or artfully arranged by color.

No comments: